Call us: 01925 989641


Do I Need a Green Card To Drive in Europe?

From 1 January 2021, you’ll need to carry a physical copy of a ‘green card’ to drive your vehicle in the EU including Ireland.

A green card is proof that you have your vehicle is insured to drive abroad. Motorists should get in touch with their insurance broker or insurer ideally six weeks before travelling to ask for a green card.

A green card is only proof of the minimum level of third party cover that you’re required to have. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have the same levels of cover that you have in the UK. It’s best to double check with your insurer to find out what level of cover you have for European driving.

When do I need to carry extra green cards?

There is a few cases where you will need to carry extra green cards:

  • If you are towing a trailer or caravan (one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer or caravan)
  • You have two insurance policies covering your trip (one card for each policy)
  • You have a multi-car or fleet insurance (one for each vehicle on the policy)

When will I need to show my green card?

You must show your green card if you’re involved in an accident. You may also have to show your green card at the border when moving between countries and if you’re stopped by the police.

The government also recommends that you have a GB sticker on your vehicle, even if you have a GB symbol on your number plate. You will need to carry your V5C log book or a VE103 form if you have a hired or leased vehicle; this is to show you have permission to take the vehicle outside the UK.

If you have any more questions about green cards or if you have the right insurance to drive abroad, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team. Call 01925 919404 to speak to a member of our specialist fleet insurance team.

« Back to all news